Maes y Waen is a development of six affordable, eco-friendly family houses by Cartrefi Conwy in partnership with Conwy County Borough Council and Rural Housing Enabler (Conwy). Maes Y Waen is set in the picturesque village of Penmachno, which is situated in the Snowdonia National Park (SNP).
Penmachno Affordable Housing Development
Powys Rural Housing Newsletter
Rural Housing Week 2014
30 June – 4 July
Led by Community Housing Cymru, working with the National Housing Federation, housing associations, Rural Housing Enablers and local authorities, the week presents us with an opportunity to highlight successes and challenges around housing in a rural context.
Powys Rural Housing Newsletter
Evaluation of the Rural Housing Enablers in Wales
The evaluation explores the effectiveness of the Rural Housing Enabler (RHE) role, management and funding of the posts and the barriers and opportunities that impact on the RHEs’ ability to deliver affordable homes in rural communities. The report concludes with an integrated package of recommendations for those working with and managing RHE posts, local policy makers and Welsh Government. These focus on strengthening practice and policy and providing long term funding for RHE posts.
Powys Rural Housing Newsletter
Minister praises role of Rural Housing Enablers
Opportunity in Llantwit Major
There is a 4x bed Rent First Property for rent in Llantwit Major. The property comprises:
- three storey, four-bed house
- downstairs wet room
- integral garage and driveway
- enclosed rear garden.
The property is sited close to the town centre, and local bus and train routes.
Green light for Castle Caereinion
Castle Caereinion Community Land Trust and Mid-Wales Housing have secured planning permission for a small development in the village of Castle Caereinion, near Welshpool. The Rural Housing Enabler introduced both parties to each other after the scheme came to a standstill. The enabler also assisted the Community Trust with setting up a register for people who are looking for a home in the village.
Powys Rural Housing Enablers Newsletter
Rural Housing Week 2013
Rural Housing Week will take place across Wales during the week commencing 20 May 2013. Community Housing Cymru has produced a pack for the week to highlight the importance of rural housing issues. You can download the pack here.
Community led housing development
Rural Housing Enablers are continuously exploring new ways of increasing the numbers of additional housing to meet local needs. One of these explorations is a new way of community led housing to deliver additional affordable housing.
Llanarth affordable housing project
Llanarth is a small village located in rural north Monmouthshire about 7 miles from Abergavenny. Over the years, as with many other areas throughout the UK, all the local services have disappeared and the closest bus service is about one mile away. Llanarth still has a village hall with playground and cricket pitch and the nearby Llanarth Court Hospital provides local employment opportunities.
Planning Approved for 10 New Affordable Homes in Anglesey
Planning for 10 new affordable homes in Llangoed, Anglesey in partnership with North Wales Housing Association has been approved. This will be the first development in Anglesey using Council owned land as a subsidy as no Social Housing Grant is available. This follows a housing need survey by the RHE in 2009 which identified the need for local housing.
Rising homelessness in rural Wales
High land costs, vocal nimbyism and a politically charged allocations system is behind a spiralling Welsh housing crisis, according to Steve Jones, chief executive of Tai Ceredigion and chair of the All Wales Rural Housing Forum.
Last Plot Sold in Anglesey Self-Build Affordable Housing Scheme
The self-build scheme in Llangefni, Anglesey used Council owned land to provide 19 plots for qualifying local people to build their own home. The plots were sold at 25% of market value with the remaining 75% held as a Legal Charge and deferred until the sale of the property in the future.
Vale of Glamorgan success
The Vale of Glamorgan is not only famous for Barry Island and “Gavin & Stacey”. The locations used to film this comedy television series about a Welsh girl and an Essex boy who fall in love, attract many visitors. Many don’t realise there is also a rural side to the Vale of Glamorgan, with many locals priced out of the housing market. Rural housing enabler for the area is Alan Sinclair. He welcomed other Welsh enablers to demonstrate three successful affordable rural housing schemes.
Powys - Innovative in attacking empty homes
Rural housing enablers (RHEs) in Powys are working with Powys County Council and housing associations to address the problem of empty homes. Powys has around 1500 long term empty properties. RHEs approach owners in partnership with Powys Private Sector Housing and housing associations, to look at ways of helping owners bring empty properties back into use.
Minister visits home-grown Welsh affordable housing solution
Minister for Housing, Regeneration and Heritage Huw Lewis paid a visit to North Wales on Thursday to see for himself a modular housing system that uses sustainable Welsh timber and offers a solution to affordable homes.
Minister meets housing campaigners in Llanbedr
Huw Lewis AM met with the ten Affordable Housing Enablers to launch their new website. The minister toured a new site for affordable homes in Llanbedr, Powys and completed homes at Gerddi'r Mynydd, Crickhowell. both developments were shining examples of collaboration between councils, housing associations and the Welsh Government to provide homes in rural areas that local people can afford.
Share Power: Share Success
Public opposition to affordable housing is a bigger barrier than a developer’s ﬁnancial position or land availability, according to frontline Councillors in England and Wales. 59% Of the Councillors also believe that ’Early involvement of local communities in discussions about the location of developments’ would make rural housing development more acceptable’.
Bro Machno Community Council, Conwy.
An open afternoon/evening will be held in Tyn Porth Hall, Penmachno on Tuesday 14th August 2012 between 4.00 and 7.00pm.
Powys Montgomeryshire private rented sector
The private rented sector plays an important role in housing people in Montgomeryshire and elsewhere. Economic circumstances as well as political drivers make it likely that this private rent sector will increase in importance. This means there is an opportunity for more engagement between the private and public sector and not for profit housing providers.
Minister launches website
Huw Lewis AM, Minister for Housing, Regeneration and Heritage will join nine Rural Housing Enablers (RHEs) in the village of Llanbedr on May 31 to launch their new website and to see first hand three rural housing schemes made possible by work done by the Enablers.
Affordable homes in Dinas Mawddwy
Godre’r Coed (translated as ‘at the foot of trees’)
Dinas Mawddwy, Gwynedd
3 bed terrace of 3
Cymdeithas Tai Clwyd
Four out of five will get no council home
Of all the thousands of people registering to rent a Council House in Powys, only 20% will get a council house; the other 80% will need to look for alternatives.